Housing Office Commuting
Approved off campus students reside either in Ocean View or in a non-Westmont property. Off Campus non-Westmont housing is an individual request.
Off Campus Due to Special Circumstances
A number of off campus spots will be granted to students who get approval for Off Campus Due to Special Circumstances. These students will reside in a non-Westmont property. The stated circumstances below need to be verified:
- Married, or single and caring for a dependent child.
- 25 years of age or older, as of the beginning of the upcoming fall semester.
- Part of a specific housing accommodation to live off campus, as determined by the Office of Disability Services.
- Seniors who live at home with their local family (from Carpinteria-Goleta) and will graduate by May of the next year.
- Seniors who will participate in Westmont Downtown (WDT) are allowed to live off campus on their own for the entire academic year (if requested for it by special circumstance). Otherwise, seniors will need to live at Ocean View (which is a type of off campus) for their semester in WDT. Juniors and sophomores should not submit a request to live off campus due to the special circumstance of WDT as they will be required to live at Ocean View for the semester of their WDT participation.
- Participation in the final year of the Education Credential Program (aka 5th year program)
Off Campus by Lottery
Students who are current or rising seniors, but who will not meet one of the special circumstances listed above, may apply for Off Campus by Lottery.
Students apply as individuals, but can name other students they hope to live with in a group. Requests by lottery are drawn randomly and individually.
- Students who plan to graduate in December are NOT automatically granted off campus living for the fall semester, but they may enter the off campus lottery.
- Students must be in good standing with Student Life and in good academic standing to be considered for off campus living.