Campus Pastor's Office Chapel Attendance
The regular rhythm of chapel is a vital distinctive of the Westmont experience. Therefore, every effort will be made to help students prioritize participation in chapel and to work through whatever issues preclude them from fully participating in our worshipping community.
Chapel Attendance Information
1. Chapel is 3 times a week and is a requirement for all students. All students are allowed 12 skips per semester.
2. Chapel begins at 10:30 am and ends at 11:20 am. Doors close at 10:30 am, so please get to the gym and have your QR code scanned before 10:30 am to ensure you receive Chapel credit. Late students after 10:30 am will not receive credit.
3. In order to obtain Chapel credit, you must have your QR code scanned by one of the Chapel Greeters at the doors of the gym as you enter Chapel before 10:30 am. Your QR code is found on the Westmont College iOS app for iPhones or the Westmont Concierge app for Androids. If you do not have a phone that is able to generate a Chapel QR code, please fill out this form and check in with Portia Foden with your student ID when you walk into Chapel.
4. If you leave Chapel before Chapel is excused, you will not receive credit for that Chapel. If you leave early, you will need to be scanned out or checked out by the scanner at the front doors of the gym even if you did not scan in.
1. How do I download the Chapel Attendance App?
Our Chapel Attendance System is based on scanning each student's personal QR code that is generated from the Westmont App on their phone. (If you do not have a phone with the app on it, or your phone is broken, check in to Chapel with Portia Foden with your Student ID).
For iPhones, download the Westmont College app in the Apple App Store. Once downloaded, you will want to navigate to "Chapel Checkin." To do this, from the home screen on the bottom right corner press "more" > "student" > "Chapel Checkin" > sign in with your Westmont email credentials. A QR code will be generated on your screen.
For Androids, download the "Westmont Concierge" App in the Google Play store and sign in with your Westmont email credentials.
2. What happens if there is no QR code popping up and my screen is blank?
If there is no QR code, please sign out and sign back in (upper right corner). Also, please be sure to have your QR code ready BEFORE you get to the gym.
3. Do screenshots of my QR code work?
NO!! You will not get credit if you use a screenshot. Have the live QR code open on your app when it is ready to be scanned.
4. How do I check my Chapel Attendance?
If you have an iPhone and the Westmont College app, simply go to the "Check Chapel Attendance" page. For Android users and all students, you always have access through the Chapel Attendance link on our website, or you can check HERE. Make sure when entering your student ID, that you include the Zero in front.
5. My phone is broken, what do I do?
Fill out this form and check in with Portia Foden at the beginning of Chapel.
6. What if I am enrolled for an internship class this semester and my internship is during Chapel?
Please fill out this form and return to the Campus Pastor's Office. You must be enrolled in an internship/practicum class in order to have this excusal.
7. I have gone over my misses, what do I do?
Fill out this form with your reasoning for going over your misses and your extenuating circumstance, if there is one. *Appeals are due January 10th at 5 pm.
While students are encouraged to attend every Chapel, each student is allowed 12 Chapel misses per semester. Students who have gone over their 12 misses will need to fill out this appeal form with the reasoning for going over the allowed skips.
There are 4 Chapel Attendance Statuses that can be assigned to a student:
Good: Good participation
Warning: Caution to participate
Probation: Insufficient participation
Suspension: Not able to attend Westmont
Students who have more than 12 unexcused absences may submit an appeal outlining their extenuating circumstances, if they existed. All who remain over 12 misses (either no appeal or appeal denied) must meet with the Campus Pastor (or designee) after which they may be placed on a higher level of consequence. If a student has more than 12 unexcused absences, they may jeopardize their involvement in leadership roles, and/or their enrollment at Westmont.
You must be fully present and engaged to receive Chapel credit. Studying, reading, being on your phone, listening to music, having headphones or air pods on, leaving the gym, taking a phone call, and talking to others during Chapel will disqualify you from receiving Chapel credit.
- Severe medical conditions which temporarily affects Chapel attendance, such as hospitalization and/or going to student's family home to recuperate. Condition must be verified in writing by an attending physician or by an email to our office from the campus physician;
- Other extenuating circumstances, such as family emergencies. To be excused a student will need to submit an appeal, along with supporting documentation, to the Campus Pastor’s Office within 2 weeks of the missed Chapel(s) ;
- Students with children;
- Students away from campus on an authorized academic field trip. Please note: You will not be cleared if the professor has not notified us;
- Jury duty
- Students cleared by the education department to fulfill student teaching or observation assignments. Please note: You will not be cleared if the department has not given us prior notification;
- Students participating in internships that are approved by a professor and the Internship Office. Please note: You will not be cleared until a student fills out, along with the approving faculty member, an internship form that can be found on our web-pages.
- Athletes, attending away games on recognized intercollegiate sports teams. Please note: You will not be cleared if the department has not notified us.
Chapel attendance is mandatory.
Note: Work conflicts, medical/dental/physical therapy appointments, and illnesses such as colds and the flu do not qualify as excused absences and are to be considered as part of students allowable 12 Chapel misses.