Contracts and College Policies Code of Ethics
Code of Ethics for Purchasing
Consistent with the principles and standards established by the Institute for Supply Management, Westmont College has adopted this code of ethics in order to guide employees in exhibiting loyalty to the institution and justice to those with whom they deal:
1. Avoid the intent and appearance of unethical or compromising practice in relationships, actions, and communications.
2. Demonstrate loyalty to the employer by diligently following the lawful instructions of the employer, using reasonable care and granted authority.
3. Avoid any personal business or professional activity that would create a conflict between personal interests and the interests of the employer.
4. Avoid soliciting or accepting money, loans, credits, or preferential discounts, and the acceptance of gifts, entertainment, favors, or services from present or potential suppliers that might influence, or appear to influence, purchasing decisions.
5. Handle confidential or proprietary information with due care and proper consideration of ethical and legal ramifications and governmental regulations.
6. Promote positive supplier relationships through courtesy and impartiality.
7. Avoid improper reciprocal agreements.
8. Know and obey the letter and spirit of laws applicable to purchasing.
Approved by President Stan Gaede, 11/12/03
See also the Westmont College Conflict of Interest Statement